Saturday, March 31, 2012

Janie's Crock Pot Apple Butter


When I think of my big sister (she is not actually bigger than me, just a few years older), I remember the highlights of my childhood starring Janie. After she went on a date to the movies, she would retell me the entire plot before I went to sleep. I served as candle lighter at her wedding and thought she was going to faint! When I was about 12 years old and recovering from having my appendix removed, Janie read to me to help pass the long hours in the hospital. In the past few years we began to take short trips together and share some fun sister times.  Since we both like to be active, we went to Rocheport and rode a portion of the Katy Trail on a tandem bike.  We do not have time to spend hours in the kitchen, because we want to be outdoors whenever possible.  Who wants to spend hours watching and stirring apple butter?  This is my sister's easy and delicious recipe.

Janie’s Crock Pot Apple Butter
Peel apples, quarter, and fill to top of slow cooker.
Add:
4 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup Red Hots candy
4 cups sugar
Cook on low heat 24 hours, and then blend with mixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment